Jerry Moore Scholarship Program
Frequently Asked Questions
How much will the scholarships be?
Awards are subject to the number of qualified applicants and will not exceed $1,500 per applicant.
Is the scholarship renewable?
A scholarship award may be renewable for the following academic years if the scholarship recipient demonstrates satisfactory academic performance in the preceding year of full-time study and satisfies any additional criteria established by the SPF.
What kinds of materials do I need to include in my application?
The following items must be attached as a single PDF document:
- Scholarship Application
- All sections of the form must be completed – DO NOT leave any field blank. If a section doesn’t apply, place “NA” in the field. No handwritten applications will be accepted.
- Narrative essay – a minimum of 500 words (Select One)
- Why am I pursuing a career in ________ field? Tell us what you intend to study and why you are choosing this field; or
- The importance of volunteering in my life. Describe your volunteering experience in your high school or the community in which you live.
- Resume – a current resume, including any volunteer activity, limit one page
- Academic transcript – a copy of the most recent high school transcript (unofficial copies are permitted)
- Reference Letter – One current, signed letter of reference from an employer, teacher, or youth program worker, preferably on letterhead. This letter must be submitted directly from your employer, teacher, or youth program worker no later than May 12, 2023 through the link provided.
IF YOU ARE A PROGRAM PARTICIPANT in a youth program that SPD supports – a letter from the program manager confirming your participation in the program. This letter must be submitted directly by the program manager no later than May 12, 2023 through the link provided.
How do I get the reference letter to you if I can’t upload it myself?
On your application, there is a space for you to enter the name and email address of your reference person. Please share with your reference this link to upload their reference letter NO LATER THAN – May 12, 2023.
When will I know whether or not I was awarded the scholarship?
All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their submission by June 1, 2023.
When do I receive my scholarship funds?
Funds are distributed directly to your institution based on your school’s academic term schedule. If it is a semester schedule, 50% of your scholarship funds will be sent mid-August and the final 50% will be sent just prior to the beginning of your second semester. If your school’s academic calendar is divided into terms then 1/3 of your scholarship funds will be sent mid-August, 1/3 by mid-December and the last third in early March.